Thursday, March 15, 2012

Social Networking Sites


WOW, now I realize how many social networking sites we have in our society! It’s amazing how many we actually have! The oldest one I can remember was sconex, this was a site for high school students who were able to communicate and leave comments on each other’s pages. It was similar to MySpace, but for sconex you had to say what high school you went to; similar to Facebook where we can write what college we go to. Sconex was discontinued, I’m not sure why but I was a bit disappointed they discontinued it.
The next page I had was MySpace. MySpace (back in the day) was the coolest thing ever, why? Because we were able to change our page layouts! And add songs to our page! Or put pictures of us on our pages and most important have a number of top friends! I remember being a number one someone’s MySpace page was the coolest feeling ever. Then of course, it went downhill. Now the impression I get of myspace is that it is very uncool and only very young kids still keep MySpace pages. It’s not popular anymore, no one sends messages or comments through MySpace, which is why I deactivated my myspace page a while ago.
The next social networking site I signed up for was Facebook, my first impression of Facebook was that it was more for college people,  since I had the mindset that MySpace was for high schoolers and the younger crowd. I thought of Facebook as the more mature audience, with no colorful layouts, and no song on the page. Now I understand that everyone has a Facebook account, including my 13 year old brother! Facebook in my opinion is THE social networking site, the best one for the moment.
Finally, I have recently created a twitter account, which I must say I was so confused about. I’m learning to adapt to the twitter environment, and I know that the more friends I have on it or “followers” the more fun it would be since people can go back and forth retweeting and replying to tweets. My first impression was that it was hard and definitely a more mature audience than Facebook but it can be just as fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment